Denton Police Department | City Jail Custody Report

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a difference between the Denton City Jail and the Denton County Jail?

Yes! The Denton City Jail is much smaller and designed for short term holding. The Denton County Jail is located at 127 N. Woodrow Lane. They may be reached at (940) 349-1700 or you may access their jail records at


Where is the City of Denton Jail?

The jail is located at 601 E. Hickory in Denton, Texas.


When is the City of Denton Jail open?

The jail is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


What type of facility is the Denton City Jail

The jail is a holding facility. This means that prisoners are generally confined for less than 72 hours before being released or transferred to another facility.


How can I find out if someone is in the Denton City Jail?

In person: 601 E. Hickory in Denton, Texas.
Telephone: (940) 349-7954
By viewing the Inmate List on this site.


What does it mean when a person is "booked" into jail?

This is an administrative process documenting a detainee's entrance into the jail. The process includes collecting information such as the person's name, address, reason for the arrest (criminal charge(s)), and taking inventory of personal property. A photograph and fingerprints are taken as well.


What occurs during an arraignment?

An arraignment is a formal meeting between a judge and a prisoner. The judge informs the prisoner of his or her charge(s), reads the prisoner his or her rights, and advises the prisoner of the bond amount. A prisoner may request a court appointed attorney at this time.


When are prisoners arraigned?

Arraignments are held daily, at a time of the Municipal Judge’s choosing.


What is "jail time credit"?

The Municipal Judge of the City of Denton assigns a monetary value for time spent in jail for a City of Denton Class C misdemeanor ticket or warrant. State law regulates this process.


Is jail credit applied to all arrests?

No, jail time credit only applies to City of Denton Class C misdemeanors.


When may I visit a detainee?

There is no visitation allowed at the Denton City Jail. The only exception is legal council for a prisoner.


What items may I bring a prisoner?

Personal items of convenience and money may not be contributed to the prisoner's property. Prisoner prescription medication will be accepted and dispensed in the prescribed manner.


How may I get a prisoner's property?

Prisoner property can only be released after the prisoner grants written permission authorizing the release. To claim prisoner property it is necessary to:
1) Complete a property release form.
2) Present a driver's license or a state issued identification card.

If a person takes possession of a prisoner's property, then all property will be released. Jail staff will not release partial property.


May a prisoner make phone calls?

Prisoners are allowed to place telephone calls once the booking process has been completed. A prisoner also has the opportunity to make collect phone calls from inside a cell.


What is a warrant?

This is a piece of paper signed by a judge commanding a peace officer of the State of Texas to arrest a person for a certain offense. Generally, no plea has been entered. A prisoner, Bail Bond Company, or an Attorney can post a bond for this type of warrant. The bond assures that the prisoner will appear in court.


What is a Capias warrant?

This is a warrant where a plea has been entered and the prisoner did not follow through with the court agreement. The only way to resolve a Capias warrant is to pay the fine in full or be released "time served" by remaining in jail until enough jail credit has been earned.


How long will a prisoner remain in the Denton City Jail for Class C misdemeanor warrants issued out of another city?

The city that issued the warrant usually has 24 hours to pick up a prisoner. If the issuing city fails to meet this deadline, the prisoner may be released with the warrants reinstated.


How can a prisoner resolve a City of Denton Class C misdemeanor warrant?

-Credit Card ( Visa or Master Card or Discover Card ONLY)
-Released - "Time served" after acquiring enough jail credit
-A combination of jail credit and cash or credit card payment


How can a prisoner resolve a Class C misdemeanor warrant issued from another city?

Payment can be accepted by either the issuing agency or the City of Denton. If payment is made at the Denton City Jail for a Class C misdemeanor warrant issued from another city, it must be in cash, exact change only. It is recommended that you verify the exact amount with jail staff prior to arranging to make payment.


How can a prisoner get out of jail when arrested for a felony or misdemeanor (other than a Class C misdemeanor)?

The arraigning judge (usually the Municipal Judge) will hold arraignments once a day and set the bond for these offenses. Once the bond is set, payment of these bonds can be arranged through almost any local bail bonds service, or cash payments can be made through the Denton County Sheriff’s Office located at 127 N. Woodrow Lane Denton. Local attorneys may also arrange for bail.


Will city employees recommend a bail bond company or an attorney?

No, but most bail bond companies and attorneys can be located in the phone book, on the Internet, or by using directory assistance.


Where are impounded vehicles stored?

The Denton City Jail is used by the Denton Police Department and other agencies such as the University of North Texas Police and the Texas Women’s University Department of Public Safety. Therefore it is necessary to contact the law enforcement agency that impounded the vehicle to determine where it is stored and if it is eligible to be released. Inquiries concerning fees, method of payment, and directions to the storage facility should be directed to the front desk by calling (940) 349-8181. Be prepared to provide information such as the vehicle's year, make, model, and license plate number.